Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Nosey

We live across the street from this really nice older couple. They are retired and happy people. They invite us over every once in a while and we sit and chat on their back porch. When they have extra fruit they offer it to us. They are just all around nice people!

From my front windows I see right into their orchard. Which means I also see when people off the street walk into the orchard and help themselves. This really rubs me wrong. These people don't know the owners of this orchard. They obviously haven't asked permission. The owners can't really see this side of the orchard from their house, so I kind of feel obligated to go out and scare these "vultures" off.

Today for example, I walk out my door and glance across the street just in time to see this person picking fruit off of one of the apple trees. This person obviously doesn't belong there. He is about 19 years old and has a skateboard strapped to his backpack. The owners are no where to be seen. So I walk to the end of my drive way and our conversion goes something like this:

me: Excuse me! Do you have permission to do that?
him: no.
me: well are you going to go ask?
him: no.
me: well you know that is considered stealing!
him: Really?
me: Yeah, that is private property!

Then he throws the apples he just picked over his shoulder and walks off.
As I am walking away I hear him shout "You don't have to be so nosy!"

OK, this isn't the first time I have yelled at someone like that. And I don't think this kid was dumb enough to not know that he was stealing.

But I got thinking as I walked away. Am I being nosy? Yes, it isn't my property. I am just trying to be a good neighbor. I think the kid got off easy! I could have called the cops on him!

I guess I must have interrupted the conversation he was having with the apple tree!

1 comment:

Aislinn said...

I don't think it's nosy at all! In fact - things like that bother me too and I find myself "interrupting" kids all the time that are doing things that I feel aren't appropriate or welcomed by whomever's home they are at! Crazy huh? One thing you might do is ask the neighbors next time how they feel about kids just stepping off the street and picking an apple or two. If they feel like their property is being violated then you know that what you're doing is right - if they don't think it's a big deal - well, then you know how they feel! Just a thought!