Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Crib Antics

So when I was pregnant I went through the whole phase of worrying to make sure we had everything we needed, that everything was ready for Naomi, and that everything was safe for her. I also figured that after we made all our purchases and had the room set up that most of my concerns would be gone.

Well, it looks like I having deja vu.

Will got an email from Target saying the crib that we had purchased from them six months ago has been recalled. Turns out that the hardware used for the drop down side can malfunction, come loose, and cause a gap where a baby can get stuck and suffocate.

So we look over the recall notice and it says to stop using the crib immediately and return the crib to the Target store.

Well, it isn't as easy as it sounds.
First, we had to find a place for Naomi to sleep. Lucky for us we had used a Pack n' Play for her to sleep in while we were in Colorado, so we knew she could sleep in that. Yea! (There was no way I was going to have her sleep with us - I wouldn't be able to sleep because I would be too worried about rolling over on her!)

Then I had to find a moment where Naomi was occupied else where so I could dismantle her crib and her room in the process. That had to wait a few days till Will was home.

Then I had to figure out how to get the crib to Target. The crib would fit in the back of the car, but not with the carseat, and the truck doesn't have enough seatbelts. So again, had to wait for time when Will was home so he could watch her and I could leave.

So all of that finally worked out last night.
I got the crib loaded up and took off to Target. Now, Target isn't my favorite store to begin with due to a horrible selection and and even worse return policy. But this just put the icing on the cake.

I arrived at the store and stood in line at Customer Service.When it was finally my turn I tried to explain to the lady that I have a recalled crib that I needed to return. She acted like I was speaking a foreign language. When I finally got the message through to her, she obviously didn't know what to do. "Let me call my manager." Well, while I am waiting, I will go get it out of my car. So I go to leave and they insist on getting me someone to helpbring it in. But it took the cart boy five minutes just to show up. By that time I could have made the three trips myself.

Well, we finally get the crib in the store. The manager had showed up and turns out she didn't know what she was doing either. She had to call some head office somewhere to get someone to walk her through the process. So 20 minutes after I walked in the store the first time, she finally gets things sorted out and hands me a gift card with my $150 of store credit.

So I walk back to the crib section so I can pick out a new crib. Well, they have two on display. Both were versions of what I had just returned. So both were also recalled. So they had pulled all the tickets for them, but just hadn't taken down the models. Which left no other cribs. So they have NO cribs.

Great.

So now I have $150 in credit at a store that I can't buy anything at. They have a nice selection online. But I am not going to pay the $50 in shipping AGAIN.

So this week I get to traverse the valley in search of a crib so that Naomi doesn't have to sleep in a pack n' play for the rest of her childhood. Otherwise, I get to buy groceries at Target for the next two months.

Erg.

Who knew getting a crib could be so hard.

1 comment:

Jacob said...

Cori loves target and i told her about your story. We were wondering if you would want to sell us your gift card?