I need to vent a little bit...
So as you probably all remember, I participated in a boutique a couple weeks ago.
It was the kind of boutique where there is a central checkout. So you shop around and take all your stuff to the register and they ring you up. Then a few weeks later I get a check in the mail for your purchases.
The ladies who run this high quality boutique are awesome. There were tons of people there and tons of people buying things.
The problem is though is that there were people there not shopping. They were stealing.
I knew there is that risk. I signed a contract when I agreed to participate that I understand that the operators of this boutique are not responsible if stuff gets stolen. But I have every right to stand guard at my boutique to make sure that doesn't happen.
But I don't think I can do that. I can't talk to strangers and promote my stuff. That is why I failed at telemarketing.
So I set up my booth and left. I checked up on it many times a day and made my presence known etc.
Fast forward to yesterday.
I got my check in the mail. It was substantially smaller then I expected it to be. I checked to accounting errors, I checked for accounting errors. Nope. Stolen. Half of my inventory that I thought was sold, including one of my blankets, was stolen. I feel violated. But at this point there is nothing I can do about it. I can't call the cops. There is nothing to be done. I contacted the operators of the boutique and they were truly sympathetic, but again, nothing can be done.
I display all my stuff out there for the world to see, touch, play with, and hopefully buy. Not to be stolen. So I guess I have to camp out at all the other boutiques I decide to participate in so I can scare away all my customers....
Really people.... who would steal a baby blanket? Or a rice bag?
Ok, I think I will get off my soap box now...
8 comments:
UGH - so sorry to hear that. But even if you had been there, they could have still stolen it - right? They just didn't go through the checkout like they were supposed to?!
Some people!!! OOO.... I'm mad with you!
That is terrible! I can't believe people would steal! It sucks that we live a world where people aren't honest anymore.
NASTY! The good ole days when honesty meant something to the majority are long gone. SORRY!
OMG, I'm so sorry to hear. I can't believe it. All your hard work and time so disrespected by those people who stole those things. So sorry....
That's too bad. I hope the next boutique's aren't as bad but I agree manning the post scares people off but may save stuff...I'm not sure what a good alternative is....maybe a hidden camera? :) Not practical but sure would be nice to catch them in the act.
Wow - sorry to hear! Are most boutiques like that (with a central check-out?) You'd think there would be less theft if everyone handled their own check-out. Good luck in the future!
Thanks so much everyone for your kind words!
Coralee - most of the boutiques I have been to are like that.
So I did some thinking and I think it was just one person that stole 3 things from me. But those 3 things made up about half of my revenue.
But now I have vented and I feel better. I will definitely be participating in more boutiques to come!
Thanks for listening!
Oh My Gosh!!! I'm SO SORRY! I can't believe the nerve of some people, how do they sleep at night? But at least you know that people like your stuff right? I didn't know there was a problem with stealing at boutiques...that's new one.
Post a Comment