Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Hard Day

Yesterday we took an emergency road trip to Craig, Colorado.

I only met Brett for a few moments the day he married one of my best friends a year and a half ago. They are both fire fighters. Joy works in West Jordan on structure fires, Brett worked in Craig for the BLM on wild fires.

I did not think that either one of them would get hurt. It never occured to me that they worked in dangerous professions.

It was amazing to see the turn out for the services. There were firefighters from all over the area. There were four rows of pews reserved specifically for the BLM. There was a lot of firefighters from West Jordan fire department. There were estimates of 600 to 700 people there.

I think the hardest part of the day for me was when they carried the casket to the firetruck for the ride to the cemetery. Joy walked right behind it with a uniformed officer in one arm and her father in the other arm. The look on her face just broke my heart. It is hard to think of her as a widow.

Brett Stearns

1 comment:

Dana said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this tragedy. Just reading your blog made me feel so sad. I hope you're alright and hope your friend will be ok some time down the road.